It is one of the oldest settlements of Tenerife. Thanks to the friendship pact between the first Adelantado with the mencey Añaterve the Good, son of Acaymo, the conquerors were able to establish themselves peacefully in the menceyato of Güímar.
The settlement was born in San Juan or Güímar de Arriba, near the birth of the waters and the chapel of San Juan Bautista. But later the town was moved towards the coastal area, building houses close to the parochial church of San Pedro, that was built either at the end of the XV century or at the beginning of the XV century.
A Dominican convent also existed, built in 1649, as well as several temples, taking into account that it was in this municipality that the Virgin of Candelaria first appeared and where it was first worshipped.
It obtained its title of municipality in 1813 and the title of Muy Ilustre Villa on June 28th of 1900.
Places of Historical Interest
Ancient Temple of San José
Cano House. El Escobonal
La Raya House. XVI Century. Reformed in the XVIII – XIX Centuries
Buen Retiro House
Priest’s House (Casa del Cura). El Escobonal
Los Mena House. Lomo de Mena
Miguel Castillo House
Torres House(Santo Domingo House) XVII-XVIII Centuries
San José Church. XIX Century
Rebuilt in the XX Century. El Escobonal Plaza
Ethnographic Pyramids Park of Güímar. Chacona
Chimisay Beach (Llano de la Virgen. El Socorro)